Happy Sunday lovely people!
I thought I would do something a little different today… as I have a number of new readers (*waves*) and have just celebrated my 33rd birthday, I thought I would share 33 things about me that you probably don’t already know (and that you certainly won’t find in my ‘about me’ page).
I would love to know a little more about you too so please do reply in the comments (you have to scroll way down after the end of the post) and let me know a few things about you too.
So here goes, let’s become friends:
1. I was born in the North East of Scotland. My mum and step dad live there now in a town called Macduff. It is a real place, honest!
2. I grew up in North Wales, lived in Swansea for two years and consider Cardiff my real home. I call myself Scwelsh (Scottish and Welsh).
3. I now live in Birmingham, England.
4. I left home at 16 and whilst it was hard, it has had the most positive impact on my life. If I managed that, I can manage anything, right?!
5. I love animals and I’ve rescued countless cats and kittens (homeless cats seem to be drawn to me). I currently have a cat called Pushka (who turned up on my doorstep with her three kittens one winter night) and a rabbit called Honey. Honey had her own bedroom for three years and slept on a king size bed.
6. When I left school I started to train as a veterinary nurse and quickly learnt that I hated blood and guts. Cue a re-think about my life plan!
7. I trained as a journalist instead. The sole reason was pretty much because I loved reading and wanted to write a book.
8. I learnt more about the media than I cared to know and decided I didn’t want to do that either!
9. But I still dream about writing a book one day.
10. I once got sacked and thought my life was over. Following that I got one of the best jobs I’ve ever had working at the Welsh Government. It goes to show when one door closes, another opens.
11. I was first inspired to start a blog after reading Poppy Dinsey’s What I Wore Today, and my first blog was my ‘Leaving Cardiff Bucket List’.
12. My greatest hobby is eating.
13. Italian, Thai and Mexican are my favourite cuisines.
14. Spaghetti Arrabiata is my go-to dinner. Me and my best friend affectionately call it STP (spicy tomato pasta) and we lived on it for years.
15. When said friend and I lived together we used to have cleaning hour on a Thursday evening. The rules were: You had to have a strong gin and tonic in hand. Music had to be on, loud. You had one hour to clean (and dance) as much as you could.
16. It is one of the best cleaning strategies I have ever come across and I am tempted to write a book called the The Magic of Gin-Infused Cleaning Hour. Please tell me if you would be interested in buying this, which possibly may help a dream come true (refer back to points 7 and 9).
17. I have A LOT of cook books but I rarely follow a recipe. I love them for their stunning pictures and inspiration.
18. Breakfast is my least favourite meal of the day. If I have to have it, it needs to be several hours after I have woken up. When I do have it, I prefer cake, or eggs. I love this recipe that I shared here.
19. Without a cup of tea in the morning I am basically useless. Three a day is my peak intake!
20. When I was growing up I was obsessed with horse riding. I have an NVQ in horse care management which I did in the evenings whilst at school.
21. Now I am obsessed with interiors. I was lucky enough to get a job in this dream industry last year and I have to pinch myself every day. You can get my interior-insider styling tips here.
22. I keep myself awake planning the interiors of my current and future homes. I think I need at least three homes to design in the different styles I love. I am hoping for a lottery win!
23. I’m a Pescetarian – which means I don’t eat meat but I do eat fish.
24. If I am truly honest, fish get it because they are ugly (sorry fish lovers). One of my favourite fish dishes is this. Or prawns. Or calamari. Or clams. I told you I loved food.
25. I sneeze every day and have done since I went on a trip to Canada when I was 19. I don’t know why that is. And I sneeze very loudly!
26. Ever since I was a teenager I dreamed of having a big old period home and renovating it.
27. That dream came true when I was 28 and bought my first and current home with my husband.
28. Every day I can’t believe I actually get to live here – I am truly grateful. My favourite rooms so far are our kitchen and our bathroom. The rest is work in progress which you can keep up to date with on my Instagram.
30. About 18 months ago I attended a blogging workshop at a beautiful little boutique called Hero in Stockbridge. It opened my eyes to what you can do when you put your mind to it. I launched my Career Profile series as a result of feeling inspired and empowered.
31. Laura, the founder of Hero teamed up with one of my all time favourite bloggers Monica from The Elgin Avenue to create Big Small Business – a conference for creatives. It was incredible. Here are a few things that I learned.
32. My blog is my passion and I love doing it. It helps me keep up to date in online marketing, social media as well as interiors. I have met fabulous people through it and it pushes me to learn new things. I can’t imagine my life that doesn’t involve this little space of the internet that I call mine.
33. Oh, and I never mentioned that I love wine, cocktails and gin and tonic, dancing in the kitchen, terrible pop music, sleeping in, carbs, and reading cheesy rom-coms.
So, that’s it! Your turn…..
Photography: Marlene Lee