I am a big fan of high street fashion, but I love to have one or two more expensive pieces in my wardrobe that I can add to an outfit that instantly makes it feel a bit more special.
These tend to be last-forever pieces that are not in fashion but will forever be in style, so they are worth the extra investment. To me, I think it is far better to splurge on items you’ll wear often, than on a dress that’ll be worn once and then gather dust in your wardrobe. Items that you’ll wear a lot, and not only feel great in but get plenty of compliments too.
Here are my top five things that I think every girl should splurge on:
- A White Shirt. A white shirt is super versatile and will see you well in interviews, in work, dressing down an evening skirt, and dressing up a pair of simple jeans. Equipment do the best silk shirts and I have had one on my wish list for some time.
- Jeans. Ah, jeans -the most worn item in my wardrobe and yet I tend to buy cheapies time and time again only to find they lose their shape, don’t fit that well etc etc. Splurging is definitely worth it here.
- A black bag. A mid sized black bag with a long strap will be your best friend for years, and it will work just as hard as the white shirt above. I have one (seen here and here) and can’t believe how versatile it is – I wear it as a clutch for dinner out, as a cross body whilst shopping, and as a shoulder bag to work. Buy it in leather and it’ll improve the more you use it.
- A good coat. In the winter, you are likely to wear your coat every day. What else in your wardrobe has to work as hard? I go for belted as it gives me definition in the waist. My go-to shop for coats is Reiss as they never fail to offer great styles that are made well and are always in the most flattering colours. A black or charcoal grey one will mean it goes with anything, anywhere. I splashed out on this berry coloured one (now in the sale) this year, and haven’t regretted it. I am currently loving this one and this one. You may also have seen me in this timeless trench coat.
- Stand-out shoes. Of course shoes. They can elevate any outfit from dull to special. Black or neutral will feel more safe when splashing out, but don’t be scared to go for something a bit more ‘out there’. They will turn jeans and a tshirt into something you would be happy to be ‘papped’ in. Treat them well and a good pair of shoes will last you years.
Now, wouldn’t these items make a great outfit if put together…..
What are the items you would happily spend more on?